Sunday, March 18, 2007

The Birth of Understanding



Here it is... finally. I've taken a long hiatus from writing, taking the opportunity to establish myself somewhat in my daily life. Taking the opportunity to sort out all of my previous hang-ups about church while working to establish a church here in Okpo. It's been a time for quiet reflection, and hectic activity. Since my last written post, I've gone back to Canada to visit with my family and friends, seen students come and go, begun working on living healthier, started a Bible study, done a music showcase, started Korean lessons, and much, much more. It's been a time for me to begin working on what I'll call the practical side of my life.

The last few years or so, I've been concentrating heavily on developing my thought life, trying to work out in my head a consistent worldview that's in sync with the Word of God. It's been an unbelievable journey, and although I sometimes found myself in corners of contradiction, God walked me through some of those and I believe I have a much more consistent philosophy of life now. What God has come to shown me in the past 6 months or so, is that the practical side of life is just as important as the thinking side. I've seen and felt the hand of God in my life, and it has gripped my heart and mind.
God has shown me that the remedy for hypocrisy is practice. What I mean by that is that the best way to stop doing things that are out of sync with your philosophy of life, is to become active in things that are consistent with it. For me this meant going to church, and taking on an active role in the church. Church was never meant to be something where people just go and sit; it was meant to be a place where people can serve each other, and encourage each other. I have been so encouraged by the people who gather together with me here in Okpo. It's been an amazing thing to serve them here, and I've appreciated their great desire to follow the Lord closely. It has truly helped to step up my practice in Christianity. The other thing that I needed was prayer. Not only did I begin to pray more sincerely and honestly, but I also began having more people pray for me. This has really been the steadying hand in my life - that people have always been praying for me. I've felt the power of their prayers, and God has answered their prayers. I am deeply grateful for those people who have taken the time to love me by praying sincerely for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back. Good to hear from you. As I use to minister to the people the lord would bring to the coffee shop, It's not where youv'e been that concerns me it is where you end up thats important.
Your fellow Servant In Christ Bro Bob

tonight at noon said...

"the remedy for hypocrisy is practice. What I mean by that is that the best way to stop doing things that are out of sync with your philosophy of life, is to become active in things that are consistent with it."

love this statement a lot jeff... even though it has a different meaning for me... regardless, it has meaning, and tremedously so...